The DBA is a member of the Database Engineering Group and will be responsible for the support and maintenance of a vast database estate, ensuring integrity, security, and performance standards are adhered to.
The role itself requires participation in 24 x 7 support of our Production environment and mission-critical applications, both on-prem and the Cloud, on a rotational schedule.
What we look for:
- Hands-on experience in any combination of database technologies such as Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server, and PostgreSQL.
- 2+ years of Production support experience.
- Ability to demonstrate a good understanding of database architecture, software, and database management systems.
- Exposure and experience with any public cloud offerings like AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Comprehensive knowledge of database administration tasks such as upgrades, right-sizing, performance tuning, and backup/restore.
- Ability to work quickly, under pressure, and to deadlines.
- Experience with NoSQL database technologies advantageous.
- Familiarity and experience with DevOps technology tools such as Terraform, Ansible, Docker, and Kubernetes preferred.
- Must be familiar with scripting languages such as shell scripting and should be familiar with Python, PERL.
- Familiarity with database procedural languages for databases that they support, (PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, etc.) to help maintain and implement triggers, procedures, functions, etc.
- Should be open to learning new database products and tools as needed by the business.
- Must be ready to enforce database security concepts like least privilege needed to ensure data purity.
- Should be familiar with project life cycles like Development, User Acceptance Testing, and Production release.
- Knowledge and experience working in Agile Software Development.
- Good communication skills, both verbally and written.
- Able to work closely with multiple teams and individuals across geographical time zones and at various levels of the organization.
- Ability to document processes and procedures.
- Provide thought leadership on database architectural design of existing and new systems, database administration, performance monitoring tuning, troubleshooting problems, and expansion.
- Coordinate with development and release management teams scheduled deployments.
- Seek to optimize overall system performance to existing database solutions; reduce costs and improve efficiency.
- Review, enhance and develop backup and recovery strategies depending on SLA requirements.
- Communicate and coordinate with other IT teams to successfully resolve support and maintenance issues.
- Capacity planning and monitoring database growth.
- Design, maintain and ensure High Availability solutions including replication, clustering, etc.
- Design implement and document Disaster Recovery strategies for critical business servers.
- Willingness to provide timely reporting in support of data security with emphasis on the US Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.